Saturday, April 3

Buh-Buh-Buh-Breakfast!

As I was watching my dairy supply come and go like the tide I was introduced to a partially self-replenishing yogurt (thanks mom). So, I made my first batch kifer the other day and so far I'm pretty stoked on it. Kifer is a fermented milk product, similar to yogurt, that also acts as it's own starter: one packet of the kifer will react with up to a liter (32 ounces, half gallon) of milk or coconut milk or soy milk. Then a quarter cup (8 ounces, 60ml) can be added to another liter of milk to make more kifer. No need to continuously purchase starter packets! Since I am usually a fan of eating yogurt as a snack I'm thinking I might try thickening the kifer into more of a yogurt or cheese.

To utilize my new milk/yogurt drink food, I decided to try using it in a rice pudding breakfast mix. Consensus? delicious!


Blueberry Kifer Rice Pudding
(makes about 2 servings)
1/4 cup rice
1 cup kifer
1/2 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon sugar
handfull of blueberries
handfull of crushed walnuts
handfull of raisins

1. Wash rice
2. Mix kifer and rice in small saucepan and bring to boil
3. Reduce to a simmer and cover for 5-10 minutes (until mixture thickens)
4. Mix sugar into the rice mixture and cover for an additional 5-10 minutes (or until rice is fully cooked)
5. Remove from heat and add blueberries, mash and mix well to spread the color and flavor throughout pudding
6. Stir in raisins
7. Serve and top with walnuts

It doesn't quite have a pudding consistency, but it's delicious! A couple bowls of this mixture, slice of peanut butter toast and a glass of chocolate soy milk and I'm good to go! wnananahanahaana *air guitar*

-Catch you on the flip side

No comments:

Post a Comment